facebook

advice to pnms

by:    

If I can give you any advice, LISTEN TO THE STEREOTYPES THAT YOU KEEP HEARING if you only hear it once from a girl who just got dropped it probably isn't true but if you keep hearing that one house is crazy it is most likely true. Even if it isn't true, once you get here, your letters work a little bit like your last name. When people meet you, they automatically assume things based on your letters. If you aren't proud of that reputation, don't pledge. That being said, I'm not talking about ranks or teirs. I only mean that reputation. You'll hear them all Rush week. And you need to take them into account!

Posted By: Active
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

And you'll hear a lot of outright lies.

By: Natch
#2by:    

It definitely depends on the sorority and the accuracy of the stereotype. For example, one of my high school classmates pledged a sorority that is known for hard partying. She honestly had not paid attention to the stereotype and could not believe what went on on the new member retreat and dropped when they got back. On the other hand, one of my roommates was unsure of pledging her house because she had horrible cuts pref day and they're known as a bottom house but she loves it now and couldn't imagine being anywhere else. So it really just depends.

By: Yeah
by: Active    

Yes! That's exactly it. Don't judge based on teirs or whether you've heard if it's "good" or not. But if you continually hear things like partiers or snobby, a lot of times it ends up true.

By: Active
#3by:    

Where will we be able to hear these reputations?

By: Pnm
by: Matchless   

Right here on GreekRank. And you'll hear them over and over during recruitment.

By: Matchless
#4by:    

You sound so ignorant ....

By: Really
by: Eh   

I was confused at first too but if you think about it they make some sense. Like the poster 2 said, if you hear a stereotype that truly does not match who you are (partier, drinker, etc) it might be best to explore different options, provided that you have them. Stereotypes are always there for a reason and I do think they should be in the back of PNM's minds.

By: Eh
#5by:    

Instead of listening to stereotypes and rumors, look at girls from your hometown and what houses they're in. If they had a party reputation in high school, the sorority they join MIGHT be a party sorority. If they had great grades and reputation, their sorority might be filled with a lot of that type girl. This isn't 100% accurate but it's better than listening to other people's gossip.

By: advice
#6by:    

conversation one step further.............don't get too worked up about ANYTHING you read on Greek Rank. This site attracts a lot of wannabe's who spend their time cutting and ripping on other people. very insecure. just get your rec's and go in with an open mind. have fun.

By: I'll take this
#7by:    

Run like the wind to anyone who tells you to listen to stereotypes. That person has an agenda. Beware!

By: Run.....
#8by:    

This thread is so stupid. You'll know who you like and and where you fit in. In the end, that is all that matters.

For instance, the stereotype assigned to APhi is not true. I know many sweet, clean and respected young ladies in that house. Do you think they honestly care what others label them as? No. They have a good sisterhood and are confident in themselves enough to ignore the rumors.

To the OP, go away.

By: Ha!

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: On second thought   

1) If you get your image and self confidence based on what other people think and feel, then you need to listen to the OP.
2) if you get your image and self confidence based on how YOU feel about yourself, then you will not have any issue finding your new home.

By: On second thought
by: aphi   

the stereotype for aphi is absolutely true. Sorry if you're butthurt about being the one bright apple in an otherwise dirty bunch.

By: aphi
by: ^^^   

I'm not butthurt and I'm not an APhi. You.cant.read. If APhi is so terrible like you say, why are you wasting your time talking about them? You should not be concerned with those houses you think are terrible. Hmmmmm, doesn't quite add up. You.cant.do.math.either. C ya!

By: ^^^
#9by:    

This was the dumbest thing ive read here.

By: lol
by: Agreed   

Yeah that was pretty dumb. Is that the SNU slayer on here?

By: Agreed
#10by:    

This is bad advice all the way around and doesn't sound like anyone that is active here.

By: Um no

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.