facebook

costs of being in a sorority

by: PNM

What are some of the non-fee costs of being in a sorority? I was hoping some of the actives could give me an idea of how much money per month I should expect to spend on things like: clothes, party dresses, event t shirts, philanthropy, arts and crafts supplies, alcohol, makeup, etc.? My older sister who went to another school and didn't go Greek got $1000 a month for groceries, gas, and leisure but I'm thinking Greek life is a LOT more expensive.

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Siriusly   

If you think you have to have a T shirt from every party and event, that you have to have new clothes for every event, that you have to wear a ton of makeup every time you step outside your dorm room door, that you have to buy a bar's worth of alcohol for every weekend, then yes, it's going to be more expensive.

Use your brains and some restraint. Borrow an outfit or (horrors!) wear something you've worn before. Simplify your makeup routine or go without some days. Restrict your T shirt buys to two a semester (you'll get a ton given to you for free when you pledge). Don't buy alcohol - that's what your date is for, and besides, you're not legal yet anyway. Give small amounts to philanthropy events.
The first semester is the most expensive because there are some one-time pledging fees to pay and you'll buy your sorority badge. But after that, it's just a little more than being non-Greek.

By: Siriusly
by: OPMar 6, 2015 10:35:47 PM

Thanks for your response but I was asking because I'm trying to be responsible and planning out a budget for next year. You're making it sound as if I'm a spoiled brat who lives in excess but really I'm the total opposite, which is why I want to know real numbers from real people so that I can plan and not have to ask mommy and daddy for extra money every month.

I've heard from plenty of girls who have had to drop because they couldn't afford the other costs and they were heartbroken. I want to be able to go in and love my sisters and feel comfortable and not be the "poor friend." If Greek Life is too expensive then I simply won't rush and put myself in a bad position. I constantly hear about how sorority girls at Alabama are really wealthy anyways so I wanted to make sure I was comfortable around them.

By: OP
#2  by: Bottom Line   

The only shirts that you are required to buy are for philanthropy events that your house will be hosting by itself or with other houses. And that's if a shirt is even being made for those said events. Other than that, $1000 is more than enough to cover alcohol, dresses, makeup, philanthropy, and shirts. Groceries will probably take up a big chunk of your budget

By: Bottom Line
#3  by: alabama   

You'll be more than fine

By: alabama

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.