facebook

resume questions

by:    

Hi everyone, I've recently decided that I'll be attending UA in the Fall and of course I'll be rushing! I've heard from some friends that during rush, PNMs might be matched with sorority women who share similar interests (like if they were on cheerleading, equestrian, same major, etc.) I'm assuming houses know about these interests from the resumes mostly and maybe from Facebook? My question is really whether I should put down some personal interests of mine on my resume under a specific "hobbies and interests" section, even though a professional resume wouldn't really have such a section? I know part of the rush process is making small talk but I guess I'm a little afraid that I'll be too eager to talk about my interests and what I say may go over the head of my rusher if she's not really familiar with with some people/techniques and style. Sorry for the long post!

Posted By: PNM '19
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Also, another quick question (sorry, really excited). I know that politics is definitely a no no topic, but this past summer, I interned in Washington DC and I got to take a picture with a certain Congressman who is pretty well known and it's one of my Facebook profile pictures. Should I take it down or do y'all think that it's okay?

By: PNM '19
by: Hi..   

I am glad to hear you're so eager for rush. This might be a great convo if you leave out your specific political beliefs and just talk about how cool it was to meet the congressman. Also, you might want to take this post on GR down so actives can't identify who you are.

By: Hi..
#2by:    

What the heck? I'm not even sure what your question was? Techniques and styles of what?

By: Huh?

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: I think   

What she's trying to say is if she's having a conversation about her passion for art and her rusher doesn't know Michelangelo from Cézanne or Impressionism from Pre-Raphaelite, she might come off as show-offy so she wants someone who can have a more in-depth convo...

By: I think
by: Active   

Let's not forget the rules of basic conversation and politeness here. In any conversation, you should not be trying to talk over anyone's head--I don't think that's hard I understand. Like when you're talking to anyone, just remember how boring it can be when they are going off on a tangent about something they understand and you don't and you can easily come off as snobby and self centered if you are not conscious of it. It's great that everyone has different interests and that's one of the things I love about my sorority and my sisters! Just remember you're trying to get to know these girls as well to see if you think you fit in with them. The best conversations I have had as an active were with girls who were genuinely trying to get to know me and not just talk about themselves the whole time.

By: Active
#3by:    

No offense, but just remember that this is a MUTUAL selection process, with the sororities having more selection than PNMs. You need to get to know actives just as well as they need to get to know you. How else are you going to decide if you fit in or not? Do not ramble or get carried away talking about yourself. It's annoying and rude. Ask the active questions about her experiences--we love that! As for how sororities find stuff out, yes, we look on facebook and at your resume, but you seriously don't have to put every single thing you've ever been involved in or interested in. Just put your main hobbies and interests. If you like horseback riding and reading--put it! But if youve rode a horse once and read half a book for English class, we don't really need to know. Just calm down, you seem to be overthinking everything.

By: Active

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.