facebook

future colonization

by:    

With all the renovations on housing for the current panhellenic members at Bama, do you think when they're finished with all the work they may consider letting a new sorority colonize there? (ex: sigma kappa or maybe even tri sig?)

Posted By: Me
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

I'm pretty sure we were open for expansion at some point after DG came on but either no one presented or none of the sororities who did were accepted. The problem isn't space or anything, it's the fact that we've created a pretty hostile Greek system here and a sorority would have to be brave to try to come on. It's a huge time and money investment for something that could be a huge flop, unfortunately. I think it worked alright for DG and aphi because they had been here before (at least for DG) and are both powerful nationally. We pretty much have all of the sororities large enough to colonize here already on campus.

By: Well

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Me   

When you say hostile what do you mean? Why would the other sororities be hostile to a new one colonizing? If anything shouldn't they be welcoming?

By: Me
by: Well   

Not really hostile from the sororities, but there is such a stigma on this campus against being new. Theta and gamma phi colonized in the sixties and eighties respectively and they are still carry the weight of being "new." Especially since we don't have any "big name" sororities left to come on campus.

By: Well
#2by:    

Unfortunately, those big big new member classes and huge member numbers are necessary to pay for these $12 and $14 million houses.
I would prefer smaller sororities.
Nobody even notices anymore when somebody resigns, and that's a shame. Sororities, of all organizations, should be more personal.

By: What?
by: .   

Sorry, but that's just the way it is here. We don't take lots of new members of pay for the houses. We take lots of PNM's because RFM and quota dictate that we do. We're not just going to pull an Indiana and leave 1,500 girls high and dry because it suits us. We do have a very good small alternative in SDT, but I see that you already know that and have commented on a post about it as well.

By: .
by: What?   

True. Thank God for RFM! It has strengthened sorority systems across the continent!
No, I don't advocate getting smaller by restricting numbers. Better to reduce the size somewhat by bringing in another chapter.
I would bet on Sigma Kappa.
I don't think Alpha Xi Delta will return in my lifetime...if ever! They've been burned too many times here.

By: What?
by: .   

True, I don't think Alpha Xi will be back. Sigma Kappa would be great because we desparately need another group but I'm just not sure I see it happening. Definitely not until all the houses have rebuilt because they would absolutely need a house right off the bat to have a shot.

By: .
#3by:    

Sigma Kappa! They are actually a strong sorority but they only colonize for the most part at small schools or out west where they have history and alumni presence. This ensures that where they do exist they thrive. I'm not claiming they are the top chapter everywhere, but they really do well at small or private schools. It's not a southern tradition so people look down on it at places like Bama. I agree that this school has plenty of PNMs to go around and being new shouldn't make you "bad". I understand history gives you pride and tradition but bama's rush will only get bigger. If girls would be genuine in their support for colonizing the stigma for new houses wouldn't exist. So they don't get the best because they don't have an established hold on campus? Out of 300-400 girls there has to be some good in there and we all need to highlight each other's good qualities. Another chapter means more friends and more power to the Greek system. Fraternities could care less about a chapter's age if the girls are pretty/fun/sociable/nice. There's always a mix and I hope people support sigma kappa if they consider expanding.

By: I'm for
#4by:    

Both Sigma Kappa and Alpha Xi Delta are both currently colonizing at other schools like Nebraska. They don't have the resources to try to colonize here at Alabama also. I think Tri Sig will colonize if anyone does just because they're not as nationally prevalent.

By: Guest

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.