facebook

advice, please!!

by:    

So I went through rush this fall as a freshman, but I didn't receive a bid. I thought I had a connection with at least 2 of the houses I had left, but I also know that it could have been one-sided. Now I'm just trying to decide what the best thing to do next would be. I heard a rumor that there will be no COB this spring which is what I was planning on trying, so should I even try to go through recruitment again as a sophomore? It's a little embarrassing to have been dropped completely and then go back to try again, but I would love to be part of a strong sisterhood and find a "home away from home". Any advice/thoughts on the situation would be greatly appreciated! I know that if it's not meant to be and the houses don't see me as a fit, I can move on, I just want to know what more experienced people think about it. Also, this is a long shot, is there any way to find out why I was dropped from those 2 houses? Thanks!!

Posted By: Help
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Rumors are just that - rumors. More than likely there will be at least a couple looking for some extra members. Nobody - NOBODY - will know until January. Girls graduate, resign, drop out or flunk out of school, transfer. Usually there are some spots, but the first thing sororities do is look among members' friends. But you never know. Give the Panhellenic/Greek Life office a call about a week or two after school starts back.
Sophomores - and even a few juniors - DO receive bids. Make sure your grades are good - 3.3 or higher. Make friends with lots of people. Keep your rep clean. Be clean and put together when you go to class. Make friends!
Did I happen to mention make friends?
Practice talking to people. Strive to have good, real conversations.
And NO, no one will ever tell you why you were released. If your grades were borderline, say right at 3.0 or just above, you just didn't have enough elsewhere to push you over, in either the activities, volunteer work or conversation skills area. And it's rush - crazy things happen.
So 1)get good grades 2) meet and talk to people 3) get involved in a couple or three things 4) act nice, look nice, be nice.
Best of luck!

By: Rumor has it

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Help   

Thank you so much for the advice and kind response!! If COB doesn't work out in the winter, do you think I should give recruitment a try again in the fall as a sophomore??

By: Help
#2by:    

Why not? Couldn't hurt anything.

By: Rumor has it
#3by:    

Honest
If you are a little to curvy, work out.
If you are rude, get some manners.
If your plain or homely, practice your presentation.
There is a reason you didn't make it, so dig deep and learn from it.

Get in study groups with some Greeks. Doors might open.
Go to some parties and be a lady, don't be "that girl"

By: Make sure you are being
#4by:    

Get to know lots of people. Some of them will be greek. Don't mention you were dropped completely from rush. If asked just say you were not able to finish recruitment but that you look forward to trying again next fall. Hang out with greeks and get to know as many as possible from different houses. HIGH grades will help. Recs will help. Activities will help. But friends help the most.

By: advice
#5by:    

besides the excellent advice already given to you, you should join a campus organization or two. We want members who support and participate in other things.

By: more advice
#6by:    

Thank you all for the help!!

By: OP
#7by:    

Be yourself

By: Be honest
#8by:    

I mean lots of it don't brag, but there are two houses that take lots average and even below average girls who can pay the super high sorority bills.

By: If you have money

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.