facebook

should i still go?

by: TJ

Since I was little watching Crimson Tide on television, I've always wanted to go to UA, especially considering the Greek life is the best on the nation. However, now that I'm older and have put in my applications, I've taken notice to all the issues that I ignored before: Racism and State prejudice. I'm black and from South Jersey. I understand that the fraternities and sororities have "officially" integrated this year, but should I still be worried? I'd rather not give up my 1st choice school over this, but I would also rather not put myself in a bad situation.

Some advice please?

Posted By: TJ
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Come on down   

You will love it!

By: Come on down
#2  by: As a UA grad,   

I would advise you not to attend. I would look in Florida (if you want the southern experience) or somewhere closer to home. Just my opinion . . .

By: As a UA grad,
#3  by: Florida???   

If he has grown up watching Alabama play football on television and he wants to go to Alabama, why would he look in Florida? He might as well stay in Jersey. If he wants a southern experience, Florida is definitely not the place!

By: Florida???
by: TJAug 19, 2014 12:13:45 PM

That's what I thought. The only way I'd ever be coerced into attending a Florida school, it would be Florida State and that's only because they whooped Auburn's ass. But A definite no to Florida, it's Southern but not the back roads-y country Southern that I'd like to experience. I'm a lady by the way.

By: TJ
by: Florida???Aug 19, 2014 12:38:51 PM

Opps, I'm sorry TJ! That makes it even better, girls at Alabama love football so it seems like you will fit in well!

By: Florida???
#4  by: Ha   

"A southern experience" so is this reffering to like inbred rednecks who are dirt poor attending a college or? Thats all ive seen thus far at bama and im a senior in sae.

By: Ha
by: TJAug 19, 2014 12:19:04 PM

That's just unkind and unnecessary. If they are all inbred, dirt poor Rednecks, I would still love to go the school. You'd be shocked what kind of great friends one can make. I don't discriminate.

#5  by: Maybe Not   

I would look at somewhere like Ole Miss or UGA if you want the same experience of bama but with less of the racism.
Both of those schools have diverse races in almost every fraternity and sorority are all just as spirited and traditional as Bama.

By: Maybe Not
by: ^Aug 19, 2014 7:36:30 PM

well for one thing, they've given sorority bids to black women forever and they didn't have to have their nationals and the media of the world come down on them and force them to do it.

By: ^
#6  by: Dontthinkaboutit   

I love UA and it's an amazing school for Greek life! For you though, I wouldn't get my hopes up about rushing because of the lifestyle we have here. I would suggest going somewhere else if being in a certain one is your first priority.

By: Dontthinkaboutit
by: a.Aug 22, 2014 12:48:58 AM

So she should only limit herself to activities that involve blacks?

By: a.
#7  by: H   

Hey monkey. Dont go here. We do not want you

By: H
by: TJAug 21, 2014 1:17:39 PM

Porchmonkey is a better fit. Definitely a more comedic sound to it.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.