facebook

question

by:    

Hi Everyone! My daughter went through Rush and was cut by her favorite houses, so she dropped out. Someone from our hometown is the President of one of the houses she liked so much. I can't believe she let my daughter get dropped! You would think the President would have more influence than that. Is there a way to appeal their decision? My daughter is amazing - smart, pretty, athletic, etc.

Posted By: Jessie'sMom
Page 4 of 4
#31by:    

My daughter went through rush with an open mind but was released after the skit days. I am not sure why, she had decent grades, did alot of community service, etc...

My question is, she is considering rushing again or signing up for the open bidding. Is there anything she can do to make her stand out more to a sorority or are her chances obsolete since she was dropped the first time?

Any help would be appreciated.

By: Just Curious
by: 2nd chances...   

Your daughter should make friends, make good grades and keep a good reputation this year. She could go through rush again as a soph and if she has made some VERY good friends in a certain house or in a few houses and she has great grades and a great reputation, she MIGHT get a second chance.
When I was in a sorority at Alabama we had two spots during rush for sophomores. Most often those spots went to a girl who was already good friends with some girls in the house but had gone to a different college Freshman year and did not go through rush at that college. They had good grades, good reputations and already had friends in the house.

By: 2nd chances...
by: Your daughter   

needs to get active on campus to meet and befriend sorority members - most are very active in organizations and churches on and off campus. She also needs to make the very best grades possible.

By: Your daughter
by: Just Curious   

Thank you so much for your help. What about the open bidding? How does that work? And what are the chances with that?

By: Just Curious
by: COB   

If any sororities are doing COB, there could be a chance of getting a bid, especially second semester after girls have graduated, transferred or resigned. COB is nothing like formal recruitment. Once you sign up, a sorority member might call to invite you to lunch, or to an apartment or dorm room to watch a movie with friends, or go out for coffee.
Sometimes sororities sign up for COB but only have a couple of spots to fill and they already know who they want, so she may never hear from them.

There is no formal bid day. Another call or a visit from a sorority member handing them their bid - that's it.

I don't think it costs anything to sign up for COB. She can try it and if nothing happens, sign up for formal recruitment next fall. In the meantime: 1. grades 2. involvement 3. good reputation.

Good luck to her - I was a COB pledge!

By: COB
#32by:    

We wont know about open bidding for a while. There will definitely be open bidding for some houses in the spring. She will sign up at Panhellenic offfice. They will distribute the list and the interested houses will contact her and invite her to some functions.

By: Wont
#33by:    

bump

By: bump

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#34by:    

be thankful

By: tina f

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.