facebook

question

by: Jessie'sMom

Hi Everyone! My daughter went through Rush and was cut by her favorite houses, so she dropped out. Someone from our hometown is the President of one of the houses she liked so much. I can't believe she let my daughter get dropped! You would think the President would have more influence than that. Is there a way to appeal their decision? My daughter is amazing - smart, pretty, athletic, etc.

Posted By: Jessie'sMom
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 4
#1  by: well...   

Well your daughter dug her own grave, sorry. After each round she needed to make favorites out of the houses she had left. She didn't do that because you and she thought she was too good for what she was getting, and this is completely her loss. Every single one of our chapters is AMAZING and she would have fit in with any one of them. This isn't a school where each house has like 50 girls, there's over 300 people in each house and you're saying she decided she didn't like any of those 300 people? Entitled selfish brat. Hope she has fun watching all her friends have a blast this year.

By: well...
#2  by: Helicopter Parent    

No, there is no one you can appeal to. You're daughters chance of being in a sorority is less than 5‰ at this point. Upperclassmen are rarely picked during formal recruitment.

The ones that are, are exceptional and also have friends in the house pulling for them.

You're precious snowflake needs to get over herself and find a way to enjoy life as a GDI.

BTW, if the president didn't pull for her, maybe you're perfect angel hasn't been so perfect.

By: Helicopter Parent
by: oh dearAug 19, 2014 8:30:18 PM

This was painful to read. YOU'RE making a fool of YOURself when you can't use grammar correctly. Thank the lord for good ole' Alabama education, right?

By: oh dear
#3  by: Jessie'sMom   

Well, I didn't expect so much animosity for just asking a question. I called the Director of Member Services at the National Headquarters, so hopefully I'll hear back with more constructive advice than I've heard from you people. There is no reason my daughter should have been cut. She's dreamed about being in the sorority for years.

By: Jessie'sMom
by: Top TierAug 18, 2014 10:19:10 AM

Are you kidding me?! Lady, you're taking helicoptering to a whole new level and will accomplish nothing with this except assuring that everyone hears about your daughter and destroying that small 5% chance she had of ever getting into ANY Alabama sorority. Your daughter will be a running joke now and eternal GDI thanks to you.

The houses she liked didn't think she was good enough for them. Just like she thought she was too good for all those wonderful houses that still wanted her when she dropped.

By: Top Tier
by: wellAug 18, 2014 11:46:28 AM

troll.

By: well
by: stop?Aug 18, 2014 7:40:00 PM

she wasn't cut. she dropped out.

By: stop?
by: NoAug 23, 2014 5:24:49 PM

Bad idea. It won't change the outcome.

By: No
by: LolAug 23, 2014 6:33:02 PM

Why don't you live your life as a grown woman and let your daughter handle her own

By: Lol
#4  by: ?   

1. Fulfilling Jessie's dreams of sorority life are not the responsibility of the sorority.
2. No one knows the reason for a girl being dropped but usually it is not that the sorority didn't want her, but just that they wanted other girls more. She sounds great, but maybe other girls who were also great clicked better with the girls that rushed them.
3. The president of the house Jessie liked might not have felt strongly enough to insist on her if there were others more qualified in the members' opinion.
4. It is true that Jessie messed up by dropping out. You should have prepared her for the possibility that she might be dropped by her favorite. She should have been resilient enough to choose a new favorite each day from among the houses that wanted HER. It is mutual selection -- she isn't the only one who decides.

By: ?
#5  by: To Jessie's Mom   

Don't ever get your heart set on one group. There is a reason why "keep an open mind" is all over this website. If your daughter is a legacy, reality is that legacies can get cut. My daughter is going to be coming through in a few years and is a legacy to 6 different groups. Guess what, all six may choose to cut her. I am sure your daughter is the complete package but so are the other girls coming through rush. You had the choice of accepting who chose your daughter and she could have been happy, but now you are on the outside. Next time, don't be so judgemental.

By: To Jessie's Mom
by: To WellAug 18, 2014 11:55:44 AM

If you are actually an active, remember your own advice and do not EVER get on Greek Rank after you graduate.

By: To Well
#6  by: Pretty Please   

Are you a member of said sorority? Can you do me a favor and please, PRETTY PLEASE record your conversation with headquarters for us to hear.

By: Pretty Please
by: OMGAug 18, 2014 10:28:20 AM

Seriously. This would be comedy gold!

Pretty sure this must be a troll though. No mom could be this clueless.

By: OMG
#7  by: Please   

Tell me this is a troll.

By: Please
#8  by: Jessie'sMom   

No, I was not in a Sorority. But I have friends that were and they seem as surprised as me that this Sorority cut my daughter. They had written her recommendations too, so that should have been another thing in her favor. I think liking 5 houses is being very open- minded. It's not like she had only settled on one. She hadn't heard about the other houses in advance, so she didn't know what type of girls might be in them.

by: wellAug 18, 2014 11:50:52 AM

that is the most asinine answer i've ever heard. you don't come in to rush with your mind made up - that's what it's for. "hadn't heard about the other houses in advance" as the reason she didn't like them? shoot yourself.

by: To Jessie'sMomAug 18, 2014 11:53:14 AM

You sound a bit naive. Perhaps your takeaway from this is that a recruitment that involves over 2000 girls is not going to be a "slam dunk" for anyone. Or that your friends don't really like your daughter as much as they seem to. They are just too polite to tell you. Another reason you should keep your options open when you go through rush, you may not have all the information. I hope your daughter can go through COB and handle it, and she may end up in a house she really likes. But, Jessie's Mom, you need to stay out of it or you will mess up whatever shot she has at COB.

By: To Jessie'sMom
#9  by: Jessie'sMom   

And is GDI another sorority?

by: UhhAug 18, 2014 11:41:13 AM

Wow you seriously know nothing about greek life. It means goddamn independent. And liking 5 sororities isn't open minded. Many girls are cut by their top choice and continue with recruitment and find a home in another sorority they thought they weren't interested in, and love it. Having a closed mind is the biggest flaw during recruitment. Continue, and if you don't like where you got a bid, don't join it. But dropping is the biggest mistake.

By: Uhh
#10  by: Sorority Parent   

I understand your being upset over your daughters recruitment experience. I too have gone through this same scenario. The only difference is that my daughter did not have favorite sorority, just 4 that she did not want to join out of 14 houses. Those three were the ones left on her pref card and she dropped out. Her decision. I made no phone calls, and accepted the fact that these sororities had girls that were a better fit for them. She waited till the spring to try again and was offered a bid to one of the other 10 sororities. She accepted one that was on her list that she wanted in the fall. Calling nationals and making phone calls only hurt your daughters future chances. Its tough to wait but you will truly end up where you belong and where you fit in best. As for you daughter, she may end up with nothing and no change because she didn't trust the process.

By: Sorority Parent
by: wellAug 18, 2014 11:52:28 AM

your daughter got very lucky. most don't work out that way - and shouldn't! truth is, your daughter also felt she was too good for four sororities and when she went back, the other 9 remembered it.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.