facebook

southern vs non-southern bid breakdown

by: Reality

Did a little math based on last year’s bid list. There is a lot of talk about how out of state girls get bids all the time, and they do! However, there is still a vast disparity in terms of who gets bids to what are considered more “Southern” or old row sororities. I guarantee you there are girls driving in from all over the country saying “I’m only rushing for XYZ”…. Even though they have very few connections and mediocre GPAs.

I considered the following states to be “Southern”: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas & Virginia.
So there were 554 “non-southern” girls who accepted bids to sororities, here is where they went:

Chi Omega – (8) 1%
DDD – (12) 2%
KD – (13) 2%
AXO – (14) 3%
AGD – (22) 4%
KKG – (24) 4%
Phi Mu – (28) 5%
AOPi – (31) 6%
Zeta – (34) 6%
ADPi – (40) 7%
DZ – (44) 8%
KAT – (48) 9%
DG – (49) 9%
APhi – (56) 10%
PiPhi – (58) 10%
GPHi – (73) 13%

In other words, if you think you only want XO, DDD, KD, Phi Mu, or AXO and you are from a non-southern state, odds are that only 1 out of 5 non-southern PMNs will get bids from these chapters. Just trying to bring everyone back down to reality, and reminding you that you shouldn't get your heart set on those.

Posted By: Reality
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Numbers   

Don't pay attention to this, I was a NON SOUTHERN pnm who preffed 3 of those. It can be done.

By: Numbers
#2  by: Bee   

Of course it can be done, but that is the exception, not the rule.

By: Bee
by: LolAug 5, 2014 2:15:13 PM

^^there is no "rule". If a "southern house" likes a northern girl, she has a chance of getting a bid.

Also, I think these numbers should also be posted for the percent of southern vs. non-southern in a chapter, not the entire rush

By: Lol
#3  by: Good stuff   

There is always a handful of Regina Georges who show up from Cali or Illinois who need to be talked off a ledge by their recruitment counselor cause they were so certain they were going Phi Mu. This is the truth, math doesn't lie.

By: Good stuff
by: doubtfulAug 5, 2014 8:40:35 PM

It's doubtful that girls from those two states would want Phi Mu. I'm from Orange Co., CA. I go here but my cousin goes to UIUC. Both at her school and at the schools around in my home area, Phi Mu is social suicide. I recognize they're great here, but I wasn't interested because of their reputation where I'm from. After I graduate, those are the girls I'd be alums with and I couldn't even think about that.

By: doubtful
by: NorthAug 6, 2014 1:07:21 PM

Good point^^. From all the schools in my home state, it is hard to find a DG, theta, pi phi, or kkg that isn't at least top or solid middle. Those are the strong houses where I'm from, so some people from my general area may be swayed towards those houses while in reality chapters vary by school.

By: North
#4  by: Okay   

What you are missing is that there are less non-southern girls going through recruitment, so hence less bids. The majority of people that go to Bama are southern. Obviously if there are less southern girls that rush, there are going to be less of them in houses. Just FYI.

By: Okay
by: andAug 5, 2014 8:42:49 PM

And for out of state girls, the houses that are great here are some of the worst back in our home states. If we plan to go back after college, we don't want to be embarrassed because of the house we joined here. There are plenty of ones with good names nationally that are available here.

By: and
by: TrueAug 6, 2014 8:10:54 AM

^^ post above highlights why some sororities at bama will always prefer in state girls... The instate girls are committed long term to Alabama. Girls go home at thanksgiving, get homesick, and ultimately transfer because they prefer to hang with their high school friends. Then the houses are in a position to have to COB. So yes, Alabama and the girls with southern ties will always have an edge.

By: True
#5  by: Truth   

Nope, among the pool of Alabama girls here are percentage of Alabama girls who chose XO, DDD, KD, AXO or PM last year:

XO - 8%
DDD - 6%
KD - 7%
AXO - 10%
AGD - 10%
PM - 6%

That is 55% chance she got one of those. The rest of the Alabama girls went to the other chapters. Their odds of getting in those houses far outweighed non-southern girls. The deck is always stacked for in-state girls.

By: Truth
by: ???Aug 6, 2014 8:31:31 AM

8 + 6 + 7 + 10 + 10 + 6 = 47, not 55. You still say your numbers are right?

By: ???
by: SorryAug 6, 2014 11:05:07 AM

Should be 47% but that means 1/3 of the houses get nearly 50% of the alabama girls. Panhel will tell you that out state girls get equal chance , but that is slightly misleading if you know how it really goes down.

By: Sorry
by: so what?Aug 6, 2014 12:33:17 PM

There are more Out of state girls going through recruitment than in state girls. Plenty of out of state girls are successfully pledging "top" houses. I also wouldn't rely too much on last year's numbers. There will be more diversity in this recruitment class - race, home state, everything. The past does not guarantee what the future pledge class will look like.

By: so what?
#6  by: Your numbers   

aren't even right. I get much higher percentages of non-southerners in several of the houses (don't have the luxury of time to type all my #'s in). Makes your claims very suspect to me....

By: Your numbers
by: ProofAug 5, 2014 7:32:55 PM

Need to explain your thinking/math or no dice. Numbers do not lie.

By: Proof
#7  by: numbers   

Where did these numbers come from?

By: numbers
#8  by: Truth   

Last years bid list, easily available online.

By: Truth
#9  by: so   

Oklahoma and Missouri aren't southern, but Texas and Virginia are?

By: so
by: TechnicallyAug 6, 2014 9:42:40 AM

Geographically speaking, Missouri and Oklahoma are Midwest, texas is Southwest/Midwest and Virginia is geographically southern, even though they aren't considered it at Alabama.

By: Technically
by: PrettyAug 6, 2014 12:34:34 PM

sure a girl from Oklahoma would laugh at being call Midwestern......

By: Pretty
#10  by: Virginia   

No girl from Northern Virginia will call herself Southern. NOVA is more like the Northeast than those below the Mason Dixon line and will more likely go to an Ivy League or more highly competitive school than Bama.

By: Virginia

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.