facebook

old row

by:    

Why does Old Row care if you're from the south or not? Isn't a person a person?

Posted By: Curious
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

More likely to agree with their viewpoints, traditions, and fit in. You don't have to be from the south to get in to an Old Row fraternity, trust me.

By: WHO
#2by:    

It's just another way to keep segregation alive

By: wow
by: lmao   

yes^

By: lmao
#3by:    

The reason why kids from the South do more favorably is because a lot of kids in the South come here. If you're from an area where UA is popular (Birmingham, Mobile, Atlanta, Nashville, etc.) then you're more likely to know other people at the school already or who may come in the future than someone from New York, California, etc.
It makes sense from a recruitment standpoint to recruit people who will have more connections to the school, that's how you stay successful at rush. If you have a house full of kids who don't know anyone going to UA, it'll be very difficult to rush people.

By: If
#4by:    

Southerners are much poorer in comparison to those out East and are very threatened. For example, New Jersey is the richest state-- highest salaries, most expensive housing etc. Meanwhile, Mississippi and Alabama are among the poorest if not THE poorest states. If you're from NJ, you will most likely not get a bid from Old Row, while people from the south get bids. This is because people in the south are holding onto a small thread of power before they get into the real world.

By: gr33k
by: yes   

Spot. On.

By: yes
by: No   

If you don't like the South, don't come to Alabama. That's just the way things work here. Old money SOUTHERN sororities want old money SOUTHERN girls--not girls that just have money. A lot of people that go to UA have money, but that doesn't mean that they have the same breeding and family connections as others. I'm sorry, but that's what it's all about here. The South is all about tradition and we pride ourselves in that.

By: No
by: gr33k   

^ Hahah I'm from Alabama this is just my general observation. The only place that old money matters is in southern greek life. It's a result of insecurity because if you had REAL money, you wouldn't be going to U of A, let's be real. You might pride yourselves on "tradition" but that's why the south is behind the rest of the country in EVERYTHING, while people up north are progressing.

By: gr33k
by: wow   

I've never read anything truer. Dayum.

By: wow
by: wut   

Ironic because the NE has more old money than the south

By: wut
by: excuse me   

New Jersey, the richest burbs are in MARYLAND and VIRGINIA. You know, a couple of those poor southern states you are trying to look down upon.

By: excuse me
#5by:    

As much as I want to disagree with poster above, he/she is correct.

By: Sadly
by: lol   

The post and comments are true. Alabama Greek life is about living in a bama box, I.e. Aquarium. Anyone not in the aquarium is irrelevant. So stupid. So, so stupid. Keep your so called eloquent old money. New money prevails! And last I checked it all spends the same. Lol lol.

By: lol
#6by:    

old money is going bankrupt. get a grip of reality guys. the south is the poorest country in the area by far, even among white folks.

By: lol
by: yep!   

Why do you think the university is increasing student population and attracting the best and the brightest? Can't fill those shoes with bama born and bred. Don't get me wrong, I love bama. But, please, get into the current times. This is not the 60, 70, 80, or 90s!! Be glad for the state of Alabama instead of holding it back!

By: yep!
#7by:    

last time i checked, there isnt anything special occurring in alabama. the only jobs that are moving here are from northern companies that want to pay southerners less than what they would make in other states. so, in a way, i dont see how that benefits the state or its citizens. but, keep believing......

By: uhhh
#8by:    

People in the north are not people y'all!!

By: hah
#9by:    

Unfortunatly, rush is a very competitive and choosy experience. However, northerners can still get in

By: Sorry

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: rilll   

Choosey based on the wrong criteria, and that's why Bama greek life suffers

By: rilll

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.