facebook

national tiers

by:    

Can anyone tell me if there are national tiers?

Posted By: nat
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

Strong in the South, big nationally: SAE Sigma Chi Fiji Phi Delt

Historically good in the south, but not strong nationally: KA ATO Sigma Nu

Big Nationally but not "historically good in the south":LXA Pike Pi Kapp TKE Beta

By: Facts
by: ^   

Kappa Sig, Pi Kapp, Pike, are all fairly good in the South if not "historically big." That might be accurate to say from a historical standpoint, but I'd say they're all basically rising in Southern profile and their success is more recent aside from a few campuses (like Bama). EN, EX, SAE, Phi Delt, Fiji, and KA are the clear frontrunners of the region, but Pike, Pi Kapp, and Kappa Sig are present on a lot of Southern campuses and have solid chapters at them. ATO is historically strong in the South, but have fallen off lately and are probably more comparable to the other 3 these days. They're all top tier at a lot of smaller Southern public universities, and tend to be middle or upper middle at most SEC/ACC schools. Sig Ep is huge nationally, and definitely deserves a mention in the "big but not historically good in the South". EN and ATO are a lot stronger outside the South than KA from what I've seen, but KA is a fair amount stronger than those 2 in the South. TKE is interesting because they have a great alumni list and even have more good chapters than they're given credit for, but they just have such a large percentage of terrible chapters that they discredit the other ones.

By: ^
by: ^^   

Also, Lambda Chi and Beta are fairly accurately placed. Both are very strong outside the South and even have strong Southern chapters here and there, but overall just aren't on a ton of Southern campuses. DKE deserves an honorable mention for the sheer enormous of their national alumni pull despite only having like 50 chapters.

By: ^^
#2by:    

SAE, SX, EN, KS, Fiji, Phi Delt, KA, ATO, Pi Kapp, Pike, Beta, Lambda Chi, and Sig Ep are probably the top 13 national fraternities at the undergraduate level today. Because of the regional nature it'd be difficult to narrow it to 10, and basically on SAE and SX would be considered top 5 in every region. After that, others like OX, DTD, DX, Phi Psi and DKE come to mind.

By: Top
#3by:    

Strongest 6 Nationally: Theta, Pi Phi, Kappa, DDD, DG, XO
Really Strong Nationally: ADPi, ZTA, A Phi, G Phi, AXO, DZ
Strong Nationally, a bit more regional: Phi Mu, KD, SK, AGD, AOPi, AZD (not at Bama)
Weak Nationally: All those sororities we don't have at Bama (except SDT)

For the record, I'm from the East Coast but went to HS in California. I'm now a sophomore at Bama. Some of the better sororities in the South aren't really that strong nationally. Keep that in mind before you freak out over good Bama sororities being ranked lower than not so good Bama sororities.

By: Sororities

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: tab   

I would agree with this

By: tab
#4by:    

All you can do is look at the number of chapters each sorority has, and maybe at the amount of money they raise for their philanthropy, or their foundation, or both.
Tiers are way more of a local thing and it varies campus to campus.
At the NPC level, each NPC group has 1 vote. It's not based on number of members.

By: Really

The two with the most chapters are DZ and AOPi, there's definitely more to the equation. You have to consider what campuses they're on, strength on those campuses, etc. national tiers aren't a precise science, and shouldn't dictate how you spend your undergrad regardless.

#5by:    

National powerhouses
ZTA
DG
CHI O
KKG
DDD

By: Kelly
by: Not quite   

Pi Phi, Kappa, Theta, DG, XO and DDD are generally considered to be the top 6 nationally. PKT are super picky about campuses and are at most Ivy League, top academic, and D1 schools. Theta isn't usually great in the South aside from fairly strong academic schools like Texas, Georgia, Vandy, Florida and a few others, but they have very prominent alumni and are very campus selective. Pi Phi is better than Theta in the South, but not quite a Southern powerhouse. Kappa is easily the best of that group in the South, having top tier chapters at half of the SEC schools, UT, etc. DDD and XO are major Southern powerhouses, are somewhat selective about where they put chapters, and are more prominent outside the South than other big Southern chapters like KD, Phi Mu and ADPi. DG is pretty strong basically everywhere but the South, but do have very good chapters at schools like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Florida and Florida State, and other solid ones. Zeta is hard to place, they are strongest in the South but shy of a Southern powerhouse, and they're decent but not great in every other region.

By: Not quite
by: oldrow   

Thats a good assessment. ..
Kappa, PiPhi, Theta
DDD, XO, DG
ADPi, KD Would all be the top tier if there was one

By: oldrow
#6by:    

Sorry. There is no such thing as a national tier system. Anything on here reflects the regional bias of the writer.

By: Truth
#7by:    

True. There are no sororities or fraternities that could be said to be top tier nationally. All reputations are regional. I would also agree that anyone who says that certain houses are in a top tier nationally would only be able to tell you what houses were tops in the locations they were familiar with. By the way, why do you care? You only go to one university, so look at a house's reputation at Alabama. As for after college, it's totally not important. Look at your alums and you'll know that there are all kinds of women and men in every house.

By: True
by: Wrong Advice   

Look at the region from which you are coming unless you are planning to live in Alabama. Example ...Phi Mu is strong at University of Alabama... not anywhere up north

By: Wrong Advice
#8by:    

I would not put ADPi above AXO or APhi nationally. Maybe not KD or DG either. They are all very good. Xo, DDD, ZTA are all huge nationally, but they put their chapters in lots and lots of small schools, and not all strong Greek systems. AOPi, GPhi, and AGD are currently growing their numbers by doing the same thing. Nothing wrong with it. I would just say that KKG and PiPhi...maybe Theta..are the most selective about where they put chapters. Then maybe DG and APhi. Great sororities all of them. No bashing intended. Just observation.

By: Well...

APhi is colonizing all over the place right now, wouldn't say they're that selective about campuses, and they are primarily strong in the Western US and just decent in other regions. XO is indiscriminate about campuses they colonize, but they're still on most of the top Greek and academic campuses, and they are top 6 based on the strength of their chapters at good Greek schools. DDD is a bit more selective about campuses, but otherwise same boat. Alpha Phi could probably make a claim for 7 or 8, but I don't see them being above Pi Phi, Kappa, Theta, XO, DDD or DG.

by: Well...   

Alpha Phi is also huge in the Midwest....Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana for starters. And in the east. Only place they aren't strong really is in the south and they are apparently working on that.I looked on their website and their newest colonies are: Harvard, Stanford, Clemson, LSU, Carnegie Mellon, and currently preparing to colonize at Mississippi. Sounds fairly selective to me. But I agree they aren't top 3, but maybe top 5. Certainly top 10. PKT (Texas term there, sorry) definitely top 3, I should think.

By: Well...
#9by:    

I would like everyone to take a good, long hard look at this list and reevaluate some of what has been said as speculation

www.newsweek.com/college-rankings-2012-top-sororities-644 61

By: So
#10by:    

The national "powerhouses" are XO, ZTA,DG, PiPhi, kappa .... DDD is up there as well, it is inaccurate to say the alumnae system is t important because it is. With that said pick the sorority you feel best with.... But if you like a sorority but are focused on its image on the campus, I think it would be good to see how they are in the region you are planning on living. It does matter.

By: Bad advice
by: Huh?   

Pi Phi, Kappa and Theta are top 3 nationally followed by DDD, XO and DG. ZTA is good, but they're probably 8 top. ZTA doesn't have as many chapters at top schools, and outside the South they're generally pretty middle tier.

By: Huh?
by: california   

im a student here from california and i can tell you that zta has no presence there at all, especially at the big schools. zta is very weak on the entire west coast so they dont belong in the national discussion.

Pi phi, Kappa, Theta are really strong, along with regional powers like AlphaPhi and DG.

For guys in the PAC, its all about Sigma Chi and SAE, with an edge to Sigma Chi, just like SAE has an edge in the SEC

By: california

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.