facebook

out of state rushing

by: Pstew

what are out-of-staters chances at getting into a top tier fraternity at Bama?

Posted By: Pstew
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Answers to life   

When you put it so broadly I'll give you a broad answer: it's possible.

By: Answers to life
#2  by: Suds   

Yes. Happens every year.

By: Suds
#3  by: Pstew    

Ok. I'll elaborate. I was born in Texas, but live in California (I like to focus on the Texas part...). I have a 4.52, a 2200 SAT, am near the top of my class, and will be in the honors program at Bama. I'm white, very conservative, pretty "fratty" I guess, and play golf. How do my chances look at getting into a top tier at Bama? I only ask because I heard/read that the Old Row is pretty selective with its pledge class and usually has it pretty much decided before school starts because they're almost all alums and kids from the area. And thanks for the help by the way.

By: Pstew
#4  by: Pstew   

Haha. I kind of thought you would react that way. I don't know what else to call it than "fratty". I like to dress nicely and have so since I was a little kid. It's not about the fraternity part of it, I just like to dress that way. And yes I am in high school...why else would I be asking these questions. Honestly though, where is the line that separates being "fratty" and a try hard? Most southern fraternity men dress the same so are they all try hards? And I have one pair of chubbies, the Mericas; but I got them for the 4th of July and because I love America. I also, however, completely agree that people here are obsessed with chubbies and think they're "so frat," when I'm reality they aren't. I think they're funny in certain situations, but by no means a daily wearer.

#5  by: Pstew   

In general, do out-of staters, specifically California kids, have any chance at getting bids from Old Row fraternities?

#6  by: I'll answer   

Old row is possible but they rush earlier on and have their pledge classes set earlier. No offense but you sound like you would fit in with new row better.

By: I'll answer
#7  by: Pstew   

What are the differences between Old and New?

#8  by: Well   

Old Row has a few more parties than New Row and they get a few more shirts. Old Row mainly consists of mostly southerners but a few of the houses have people from outside of the southeast in them. New Row is more out-of-region friendly than Old Row. Old Row has higher dues than New Row but everyone has or is getting a new house in the future so everyone's dues will go up. Old Row is seen as superior, even though some New Row houses are actually better than some of them. You should just email the rush chairs of the houses you're interested in and try and get down here in the spring, but mainly over the summer for rush events. Also register for IFC recruitment, that way all of the fraternities have your information down and they can send you invitations to rush events. Have fun and good luck!

By: Well
#9  by: Pstew   

Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it. And i will get on that as soon as I decide on Bama!

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.