facebook

okayy soo

by:    

I picked Alabama over several other schools of equal academic rank for the Greek life. I didn't get a bid so naturally I am super upset. I have tried joining other clubs and activities but they just aren't the same. It was a dream of mine since I was little to be in a sorority and I know I won't be truly satisfied or happy until I am in one. I know it is impossible to be Greek at Alabama now because I didn't get a bid from formal or COB. I was told that it would be impossible for me to get a bid during formal next year because of once cut always cut policies. Should I still reach out to my friends who are in sororities and try to get a bid through COB? Or is it just best to throw in the towel here and transfer and re-rush?

Posted By: devastated
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

there are THOUSANDS of girls in this greek system. If you stood out so negatively among THOUSANDS that you couldn't get a bid, twice, what makes you think you can get one anywhere else? If you want to re rush, go to a school with a greek life that is much smaller or less competitive than Bama's, because you won't have better luck at any other SEC school. Harsh, but true.

By: Honey,
by: yes   

Agree with this. Spot on.

By: yes
#2by:    

It's harsh news but Honey is right about staying out of the SEC. They're all competitive and being a sophomore (assuming you do fall formal) will be a strike. Are you talking about starting next fall or leaving after this semester? If you'll be here until the end of the school year, and if getting a bid would mean staying, go ahead and let sorority friends know you're interested. There's nothing to lose, but don't talk about transferring to anyone until it's for sure. (I know someone at another SEC school in the same boat. She's going to apply to other schools for fall, but nobody knows. She won't have to confirm going until like early May, so she can see how COB/spring goes at her current school before making a decision.) You also need to be honest about what might have caused things to go wrong. Were you good on GPA, recs, activities, rep and social media? If they check out, were you open minded or only wanting the most competitive chapters, and did you not get a bid because you were released or did you drop because you didn't like return invites?Did you show your best in appearance and personality? Quiet girls sometimes get lost. If that's you, work on communication and social skills. You'll need to do this whether you stay here or rush somewhere else. Good luck and I hope things get better for yo

By: Well...
by: I thought    

I thought I was good on everything recs, resume, grades, social media etc., but my high school was crazy hard and did non traditional GPA that I guess was converted to a generic 4.0 scale which in turn hurt me leading to me being released even though I kept an open mind. I also didn't know anyone in the houses during formal. I'm fairly confident appearance was not the issue or being quiet as I am super outgoing.

By: I thought
#3by:    

It could have been the GPA then. Good news is that, after this semester, your college GPA is what gets reported and seen by sororities. Well, hopefully that's good news :) and your college grades are strong because that's what will count going forward. Also, it's good that you've gotten into some other activities. Already being involved on UA's campus can help out when you're rushing past that first semester as a freshman. And, you now have friends in sororities which can help. Maybe your circumstances have changed, so if you wouldn't be leaving here until the end of the school year, I'd say give it another shot by reaching out to friends since this is something you've wanted for so long. (Plus, if you go to some COB events next semester, you'll still be classified as a freshman.) Of course, keep going with your plans to transfer if it doesn't work out, but really keep it quiet until you know your decision. One thing to think about, though: some schools hold deferred recruitment in January. As for the schools you're thinking about transferring to, be sure to check when they hold recruitment so you don't miss it!

By: GPA
#4by:    

I'm getting the impression that you are being too picky. That maybe you had sororities left during formal but felt you were "too good" for them and dropped out.
Is that what actually happened?

By: Hmmm
by: Nope   

I was dropped between skit and pref rounds. Only had 1 house left and I tried to keep an open mind about it

By: Nope
#5by:    

what about sdt? did you look into them?

By: jw
#6by:    

Easy solution. Once cut, always cut really applies to superficial/reputation/unimportant things. The fact that your grades were the issue puts you at an advantage over girls who were cut for other reasons. Once you have a better gpa, most houses will consider you. Grades are an easy reason to cut, but if you can prove they won't be an issue, it's an easy way to get back into a house's good graces. But be sure it's at least a 3.7 or higher. Good luck!

By: Oh!
by: 3.7   

Idk if it could be a 3.7 but at least a 3.3.

By: 3.7
by: uh   

you can't get a 3.7 if you buckle down and try hard? pathetic

By: uh
by: I think   

I may have taken to heavy of a course load my first semester, I am taking seventeen hours. I also I have a severe case of ADHD, I know this is not an excuse but, it makes it so much harder because even if I know the information perfectly, I might make careless errors on exams or rush through them just to get them done. I'm not being lazy nor am I stupid, I do want a GPA that is well above a 3.7 by the time I graduate, however, this semester I can't promise that.

By: I think
by: 2.8of3.0   

17 hours? What advisor okayed that? That's VERY hard, especially with ADHD. My advisor suggested I only take 12 hours since I was rushing...which was stupid, I still took 15.
Some - if not all - have a lower minimum for college grades, so a 3.3 may be OK.
However, you had one sorority left and you dropped? You may STILL have only one left if you go through formal again - how will you feel about that?
Listen, every sorority at UA's campus has smart girls, dumb girls, leaders, followers, beauties, and...not so beautiful girls. There's a big range in each group, and the rankings here are ridiculous. The lowest so-called group here would be mid to top rank elsewhere.
You CAN find close friends in each group if you make an effort. So don't be so picky. You had great grades, activities, recs? Congrats! So did 2030 of the other girls, and a bunch of them were homecoming queens and Senate pages.
You've got nothing to lose by trying again.

By: 2.8of3.0
by: @I think   

dude, only take a course load you can handle. Getting a GPA up from a low GPA is hard work

By: @I think
#7by:    

you need to effin chill

By: @seriously um

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Hope   

Don't give up hope. I know of girls that were released during recruitment but were picked up during COB on the late side. There may be more groups than normal doing Spring COB due to total being raised beginning in January.

By: Hope
by: Hope   

Don't give up hope. I know of girls that were released during recruitment but were picked up during COB on the late side. There may be more groups than normal doing Spring COB due to total being raised beginning in January.

By: Hope
by: really   

Really? You think there will be Spring COB? Will that be my best chance then?

By: really
by: Really really   

Especially since total was raised some chapters may add members in the spring. MAY. It might not happen, but that would be the time to do it. Also, I think DG has had spring classes since they are still pretty new. And @seriously um, she was right and gave helpful info so I'm not sure why you were so negative.

By: Really really

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.