facebook

new houses

by:    

I wonder if any new houses will be coming to Bama and what houses they would be?

Posted By: curious
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

it's either Tri-Sig or Sigma Kappa. I cant remember which but one is definitely colonizing on campus while the other was too afraid to be new on the campus. DPhiE wanted to colonize but the university denied them.. Really sad, but i dont think they would do well on this campus anyways.

By: Yes
by: when   

when will they be colonizing?

By: when
by: Yes   

Not sure. It could take a while though. (Anyone know how long it took DG to officially start colonizing?) But it'll be interesting to see how they do.

By: Yes
by: I'd bet on   

Sigma Kappa over Tri Sigma - they left campus twice, but they're stronger nationally than Sigma and they have a stronger presence in the South and the SEC. Sigma sank most of their resources into the Mizzou chapter, which is struggling after only six years on campus.

By: I'd bet on
#2by:    

Pulling for Sigma Kappa!

By: New
#3by:    

Alpha Xi Delta was in the running too.

By: I thought
by: ----   

I only heard SigKap and TriSig too. Yes, DPhiE did get denied. Never heard anything about Alpha Xi colonizing. I think if they were, they'd do pretty good though.

By: ----
by: Alpha Xi   

Go Alpha Xi! Tri Sig has no Alabama chapters. Sigma Kappa has Auburn and is colonizing at Spring Hill and has been at Bama. Alpha Xi was the first sorority at Jacksonville State and has a chapter at UAB and has been at Auburn longer than Sigma Kappa and has also had a chapter at Bama. Alpha Xi and Sigma Kappa have Lilly prints. Bring them both back. Arkansas brought two groups back at the same time.

By: Alpha Xi
by: Oldster   

Alpha Xi was at Alabama twice. Neither time ended well.

By: Oldster
by: ^   

I've heard Alpha Xi mentioned too, and given the fact that rush has changed a lot, I wouldn't discount it. Plus their track record is no worse than Sigma Kappa's. They're probably the two best sororities nationally that aren't already at Bama, and both are probably a fair amount better than SDT and Tri Sig.

By: ^
by: They're   

Definitely the best that aren't already here. The other NPCs are very small and are either niche groups (AEPhi, DPhiE, Phi Sigma Sigma, Theta Phi Alpha) or groups with little to no presence in the South or at big Greek campuses (ASA, AST, Tri Sig).

By: They're
by: Alpha Xi   

Yes, Alpha Xi and Sigma Kappa have both closed twice at Bama. AOPi just had a successful recolonization at FSU on their third attempt.

By: Alpha Xi
#4by:    

When will this happen? I don't think that by next fall right?

By: Approx
by: If   

There is going to be a colonization/recolonization, it probably wouldn't happen for two to three years.

By: If
#5by:    

sororities usually announce on their national websites where they will be colonizing.

By: Websites
#6by:    

large greek community such as AL should support additional organizations. works at larger schools...why not here? People take notice of change.

By: Change is good
by: wait and see   

People DO take notice of change. But the system at Alabama is going to have to prove for several years that AA members will be genuinely welcome before anyone believes it. No sorority is going to be interested in going into Alabama for several years. It will take that long for the stench of this giant mess to go away. Hopefully the integration or Greek organizations will continue.

By: wait and see
by: Nah   

In another year, this will be a non-issue.

By: Nah
#7by:    

It's more about the construction happening right now and the current sororities shifting around. Once the AXO, XO, GPB and APhi houses are complete, Phi Mu, Kappa Kappa Gamma and ZTA will start construction. There have to be places for these groups to live temporarily while their houses are expanded and/or torn down and rebuilt.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if a group is chosen to colonize in, say, 3 years.

By: Nah
by: Not true   

No strong national w a strong chapter at UA is going to pull out, unless the sorority has other problems. Not gonna happen.

By: Not true
by: MJ   

Don't place any bets...I've heard the same rumblings from some nationals. While UA has had a strong greek life, it's far from a prestigious school...and with the current situation.....

By: MJ
#8by:    

Heard the opposite. Some strong national houses are considering pulling out of Alabama after this fiasco. The national press is damaging and they don't want to be associated.

By: Guest
by: Money   

That's what it all comes down to. No national is going to close at Alabama. The houses here bring in too much money. And the new houses? If nationals pulled out, they would still be responsible for the payment of the houses. No national is going to take that hit.

By: Money
by: Nope   

the nationals wouldn't have a leg to stand on pulling charters if their chapters are in good standing and not struggling with numbers. The fact that there's a fiasco at the school (largely not the fault of the undergrads) doesn't serve as just cause. If they pull charters and kill their chapters for having the courage to risk all the trouble they're having to change this, they're terrible national offices. Plus the loss of a prestegeous chapter, tons of debt to pay off their new houses, and a plummet in alumni support probably beyond just Bama.

By: Nope
by: Three?   

Dubious. It's VERY expensive to colonize here. Two, yes. Not so sure about a third.

By: Three?
by: I think   

The sorority master plan for new houses includes three groups in addition to the existing ones.

By: I think
#9by:    

I heard that three sororities are colonizing over the next five years, the first of them being next fall. With the amount of girls going thru recruitment, I guess they'd rather increase the number of groups over increasing the exclusivity of greek life.

By: I heard

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: hope so   

More houses are needed. With the numbers going out for recruitment houses are really getting too big.

By: hope so
#10by:    

My Mom is a Sigma Kappa and I asked her about it. She said that the university has to post an expansion notice with National Panhellenic. That is the first official step and that has not been done yet. No new houses will be coming until the notice is put out. Then those chapters who are interested will turn in an application to show interest. Our Panhel looks over the applications to see if they want one or more of the interested chapters to make a formal presentation. From the presentations, our Panhel votes who they want to invite to come to campus. The whole process can take years for a school our size due to the cost of building a house.

By: not yet
by: Thanks   

Thanks for the info "not yet". Always wondered how this works from a national stand point. Good luck AL.

By: Thanks

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.