facebook

rush rush redo rush

by:    

Rush needs to start over and let everyone get the house that they want. what a royal mess over a few people. for many years, white girls were denied a house for various reasons some of which are : not being wealthy, not having a legacy, not being good friends with a current member, and on and on. membership is not an entitlement program. get over it.

Posted By: mary jean
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

Rush will not start over. You're doing people a disservice by putting stuff like this one here because it cannot and will not happen.

As for why white girls got dropped -- those are legal reasons sanctioned by nationals. Race is not a sanctioned reason by ANY panhellenic sorority.

By: weird

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#2by:    

Your idea would be a total CF.

By: RT
#3by:    

Honey, for you rush CAN start over. You just have to drop out now and try again next fall.

By: And
#4by:    

Bad idea. Make the most of your current situation.

By: Bad
#5by:    

For those wanting a rush redo:

1.) If there is one in the near future, and you depledge your house, could you even take part? National Panhellenic says any who depledge must wait one year to re-rush.

2.) Even if NPC waives that, what are the odds a sorority will bid someone who depledged another one? From what I've seen, it's almost zero, unless you transfer and start new. On the same campus, it probably won't happen.

3.) People say this year is "different." It is, but what's changed to make a "sorority depledge" be seen as someone except an uncommitted girl who bailed on sisters who put time, heart and money into her? I'd think it would be the worst time ever to be that girl. It might look like you jumped ship the first chance you got thinking you had a quick shot at a "better" house.

4.) Are you sure more space ups your chances of a bid from sororities that have already cut you? You don't know why they dropped you first time, so this is risky, Someone on this board said rerushing might be rushing yourself right out of any sorority. True.

When you ranked after pref, it was like saying you'd take a bid. They gave it thinking it wouldn't be wasted, and because you got one, another girl didn't and she might have wanted your sorority a lot. Remember the saying "Bloom where God plants you." That's probably what you should try to do.

By: Realistic Questions
by: just wondering   

Would you give the same, "Grow where God plants you" advice to the two girls that whined and started this mess?

By: just wondering
by: Hmmmm...   

Fair question. I guess it's how you look it, but some would say they did bloom where they were planted, which was kept out of something because of race and deciding to fight it. I think the circumstances, and if they can be changed, would have something to do with how someone could "bloom," or make the best of where they are. As for girls who are already in sororities, and not happy, I just don't know if a rerush would improve things, mainly because people who depledge don't usually have good results next time around on the same campus. That's just the facts, so in that case, making the best of where they are seems to be the better way to go. I hope some more people will comment on this, though, because I'd like to hear opinions about depledging and rerushing in this kind of situation.

And did the two girls actually bring this out or was it the sorority members who talked to the CW? I can't remember if the article really said.

By: Hmmmm...
by: just wondering   

No, you can't redo recruitment. But, I don't blame girls that stuck it out and followed advice and pledged somewhere that wasn't their first choice that feel like they followed the rules and got screwed for it. They probably are stuck and most of the time rerushing after depledging doesn't work out well. Plenty of great girls do have bad recruitments and I know some trainwrecks that have had great recruitments. I am sure some of the houses would love to have had some of the next girls down on their bid lists, too. Life isn't fair even when you play by the rules. But, if anybody else whines about not getting a bid or not getting a bid to where they wanted, they get told to put on their big girl pants and go on or that there is something wrong with them.

By: just wondering
by: .   

^ That's because the majority of the time (not ALL the time), girls think they deserve to be in a "higher ranked house" than what they got and can't accept that they were rejected. They tend to have a too-good-for-this-place chip on their shoulder which is what makes them miserable. That's why they get told to put on their big girl pants. They're adults, not little kids. Life isn't fair, you don't always get your first choice and the sooner people accept that, the better.

By: .
by: @just wonderin   

I understand what you're saying about some girls feeling the way they do. I really do and I didn't get my first choice either when I went through. I just think you have to look at your situation and be really honest about what you can do about it. Now that I've been here for a few years and seen how recruitment goes, I'd just never tell someone to depledge and try again. I really have never seen it work out. Maybe it has, but I don't know about it happening here. No matter who the person is, I'd say if you want to be Greek at Alabama and are in a sorority, stay there and make it the best experience you can. I can't see myself in any other sorority than where I ended up, even though it wasn't my first choice. I have a friend who pledged at another school last year and ended up with her third choice. In the bid day pictures on FB, she looked like she was about to cry, then she was up and down the whole first semester and I kept waiting for her to drop, but she didn't. This year, she went back to school like a different person. She loves her sorority and can't believe how unhappy she was a year ago. For her, it didn't happen overnight, but it did happen as she got to know people better and got more and more into it.

By: @just wonderin
#6by:    

You obviously don't understand how rush works. Rush will not "start over." Stop pretending like you hold a position where you think you know what is best for the Greek community because, SURPRISE!.. you dont.

By: Dear GDI,
#7by:    

That is one of the dumbest things I have read this year.

By: Target
by: Agreed   

And there has been a lot of dumb things.

By: Agreed
#8by:    

I am fairly stunned that anyone is idiotic enough to equate being black and not receiving a bid to not getting one because you don't know someone in the chapter. And Whining? Seriously? Life will not be easy for these ladies because there are hateful bigots around who just don't get it. I say they are brave and ground breaking and instruments of a much needed change. So if you don't like it, shut the he!! up. The times they are a-changing.

By: Wow!
#9by:    

Why we deny membership:
Grades
Don't need more girls from (insert name of town or state here)
Grades
Don't need more athletes-musicians-shy kids-4.0s-blondes-brunettes-redheads-artists-pre-med-nursing -English majors etc.
Grades
Crappy reputation
Smell bad (it's happened!)
Totally random unknown girls with no rec (we got plenty of recs so we release the ones who don't get them)
It's Wednesday so we release every third girl

There are a LOT of reasons.
Surprise! AGD-DDD-XO-AXO-KD-KKG-PM can't take everybody who wants to join.
And - surprise! Neither can ZTA-DZ-ADP-DG-AOP-KAT-GPB-AP-SDT-PBP.

By: Why
by: OMG   

This is probably the most accurate and real post I've ever seen on GR

By: OMG
by: Love   

this!

By: Love
by: Love   

this!

By: Love
#10by:    

My daughter was released during rush after the skit round. She felt like she connected with the girls from the 3 sororities that invited her back. She really wanted to be in a sorority and felt like she would be a good asset to one (good grades, lots of extracurricular activities, cute girl, etc...)She has no idea why she was released.

At UA, should she even attempt to rush again, or since she was released as a freshman, would the soroties even bother to look twice at her? Is there anything she could do to help her chances of getting into one?

Any suggestions would be appreicated.

By: Just Curious
by: 2nd chances...   

Tell her to try her hardest to make friends, make good grades and keep a good reputation this semester. She could always go back through rush as a soph and if she has become VERY good friends with girls in a certain house or in a few houses and if she has great grades she could possible get another chance.

By: 2nd chances...

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.