facebook

what is dg like?

by: curious

Everyone says they’re mean. Is it true?

Posted By: curious
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: @curious   

Disclaimer: I probably don't have the best read on this, but there are a couple things that stick out when I think about DG the last couple years.

1. There was a bullying incident with a new member that was really atrocious. She wrote a blog post, it blew up. From what I understand, there was some discussion from their Nationals, PHC and the U about it, but I don't think it amounted to anything.

2. There are tons of rumors about the lack of sisterhood in this chapter. Every house on campus has cattiness and in-fighting, but for some reason, this one seems to stick out to people.

3. They've had a pretty difficult time with retention of new members the last few years. The battle isn't recruitment, it's retention. It's making girls continuously feel like they want to be there, not just getting them in the door. They recruit big pledge classes and see big drop rates over the course of their first semester after recruitment. I personally think this says a lot.

By: @curious
#2  by: Definitely not a Fiji    

Nah fam they #dope as hell

By: Definitely not a Fiji
#3  by: Response   

DG has gotten bad rep in the past due to things out of their control, but it in no way reflects on the true character of the chapter.

Anyone in Greek life would tell you that DG is a great chapter and that Panhell and U are fully in support of them.

Every sorority on campus has had attacks from media, this website, and rumors.

Every sorority on campus is going to have girls you don’t get along with. Every sorority on campus is going to have some drama at some point because 150 girls being together a lot is just going to do that. Every sorority will have girls that are closer and girls that aren’t.

If you want a true look at DG, go through recruitment.

DG recruits girls who are usually top tier / middle tier. They have A wide variety of majors in the house from law to engineering to communications (like lots of other chapters do too). DGs also tend to be ones at parties who have a good time but don’t get sloppy. DGs care a lot about their philanthropy. DGs are classy. A lot of DGs are also really energetic and outgoing.

Girls drop from every chapter. During recruitment and after recruitment and even after initiation.

No matter what you hear about chapters on this website, give yourself a chance to get to know each one during recruitment and follow your gut.

By: Response
by: @responseJun 16, 2018 4:14:09 PM

I'm sorry, I don't think it's fair to boil down an incident that involved forced underage drinking, bullying and hazing to "girls not getting along." It was a serious thing that the university, Panhel and DG nationals got involved in. It's not baseless as you have implied or just "rumors."

The original poster should know that while maybe not every DG was involved or acted incorrectly, that it's no mistake when someone ends up in a house. There's a lot of effort put in to making cuts and a lot of thought behind who stays and who goes. It's not an accident that the girls involved in this incident were in that house. Maybe DG should be more discerning about their in-house culture and choose some less sketchy members.

By: @response
#4  by: Mmmmmm   

If you want to talk about sorority’s being mean ask kappa why half their new member class dropped this year

By: Mmmmmm
by: ?Jun 18, 2018 11:14:10 PM

You have no idea what you’re talking about, kappa has lost less than 5 & has the strongest pledge class of theirs from the last 3 years. Aphi has exceeded that # in drops this year and has the worst pledge class they’ve had in years.

By: ?
by: So ?Jun 19, 2018 2:59:13 PM

What # in drops is normal / ok for a chapter?

By: So ?
#5  by: @so?   

Just a rough outline, but during the first year with a pledge class around 50-55, 5 or less is exceptional and will get you awards from your national chapter or from PHC for new member programming. 5-10 is questionable. 10+ is disasterous.

By: @so?
#6  by: PNMs beware   

They are pretty terrible. They have gotten a really bad rep in the last few years cause of a huge hazing and bullying event. People got kicked out for it and in trouble with the university even. Just be careful

By: PNMs beware

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.