facebook

What do Letters of Rec/Legacy Status get you?

by:    

I just rushed at UK and I had two letters of rec for Chi O, one for Tri Delt, and one for Delta Gamma as well as legacy status in Tri Delt. I thought I had really good conversations with all of these sororities, but I got cut from all of them after the first round. I had a 3.5 GPA in high school, was on the soccer teach, and was highly involved in high school events. What does Legacy Status and Letters of rec do for PNMs? Do houses even look at that stuff anymore?

Posted By: PNM Drop Out
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

With how many legacies that come in they really don’t pay much attention to it anymore. They can’t take all of you

By: Nope
by: Skeptic   

Yeah, I don’t buy that. As a Greek alum of one of UK’s “top tier” (whatever that means) chapters, I have written a lot of letters of rec and know a handful of high quality, full package girls going through rush that get cut. If an alum takes the time to write a letter for a girl they believe would be a good addition, the chapter should at least give that rushed one round. And this BS about “too many legacies” is a justification for chapters to do what they want. It is as if chapters feel they know better than women who have been there and done that. It all feels very selfish and more like a high school popularity contest in which they just want their friends included, so much worse than ever before.

Don’t get me wrong, current active member should absolutely have a major say in who they select but to be so quick to cut, especially after open house, is rude and disrespectful to your alumni. I suspect this self-centered approach that is dismissive of tradition is chipping away at the integrity of Greek institutions. I’m not even sure if I want my daughters to be part of Greek life based on what I see on this website and what I hear about the current Greek community. It’s been heartbreaking to watch.

BTW, legacies only seem to count when a chapter wants to use it as a justification. Just saw a legacy (older sister, well out of college) with mediocre grades get into a top tier chapter. She is overweight, not involved in school, her hobby seems to be partying and she is known to be a very petty, very mean girl. But she is able to schmooze... Can’t see any of that justifying her bid though. Good luck with that!

By: Skeptic
by: Team   

Hot dog

By: Team
by: yes   

agree that this should be part of the process and just an excuse for people to be lazy and superficial vs checking people out who will have a lifetime commitment

By: yes
#2by:    

I know delta gamma doesn’t recognize legacy status anymore. A lot of sororities are moving that way, not give preferential treatment to women who have had family that were lucky enough to go greek. Some families aren’t that fortunate so it’s basically saying we’ll give you a bid if you’re the right fit, not just because your mom or sister was.

By: Sorry
#3by:    

Letters of Rec mean almost nothing anymore. Legacy status depends on the chapter but every sorority has the ability to release them as some point.

Also legacy status really depends on the particular sorority. Some chapters require very specific paperwork.

By: Hmmm
#4by:    

Most chapters don’t really care about this anymore.

By: Nope
#5by:    

Letters of rec don’t do much if anything in uk greek life. As for legacy status, most chapters have to follow a specific protocol along the lines of being obligated to offer a preferential bid to any legacy that attends preference round or being required to invite a legacy back to philanthropy round at least. So if a chapter does not think a legacy is a good fit, then they have to work around it. Maybe tri delt needed to drop you after open house because it would be almost impossible to do so later? Also do not feel like getting cut from certain chapters has anything to do with how much value you have as an individual. A good resume doesn’t define you - shared values and overall personality is what determines the chapter that is the best mutual fit!

By: Tbh

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#6by:    

they don’t care

By: yeah
#7by:    

I know for a fact that adpi cut a double legacy last year and told her family it was because she was a grade risk when she is in fact a chemical engineering student with a 4.0 and honors standing. Sometimes you just don’t fit that chapters ‘mold’

By: Idk
#8by:    

They usually take that letter of rec and wipe their ass with it

By: Yah
#9by:    

they are about as useful as this site

By: useful

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.