facebook

thoughts on delta sigma?

by: curious

Heard really mixed things about this sorority, thoughts? Worth joining?

Posted By: curious
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: In another mid house    

Not in Delta Sig but from what I know some of the girls are really sweet. If you are looking for a larger network of women to connect with outside of Berkeley or after college, maybe don’t join because they are an independent sorority (only one of their kind) so they have no national presence. Other than that though it really depends on what you’re looking for. Partiers? Not really. Smart girls? I mean it’s Cal so most of us are but they have a good chapter GPA. Good sisterhood? Mixed reviews, like any house there are cliques and drama but it’s definitely not as petty as some other houses. Solid mid-tier house. Good luck finding your fit!

By: In another mid house
by: naJun 13, 2023 12:07:20 AM

I thought they are still trying to get back their AOII charter

By: na
#2  by: kim   

Its not national. So, if you are looking for a housing option and not a network post college then give it a look. Their history is a bit checkered (google it or search on here as it was discussed greatly at the time) as the prior national isn't the most reputable by all accounts and the house is still owned by alums of the prior national. Overall its a messy situation but if you like some of the people and need housing then maybe it will work for you. Future of the house is uncertain over the long run though as they aren't a national organization. Not sure why they are part of panhel. Its a mystery.

By: kim
by: get greek or get outFeb 4, 2019 8:34:57 PM

Panhellenic women are, and will often remain, life-long friends no matter which Cal house they join. If you become a Delta Sigma initiate you will still have opportunities and experiences with NPC/IFC greeks both in college and throughout your lifetime. DS also has a large and supportive network of older greek alums who were members of the former Cal NPC group that became DS. Be not discouraged from joining this wonderful group of women!

By: get greek or get out
by: potatoAug 14, 2023 11:50:26 AM

ya I had a friend who rushed AOII back in the day (2013 when we were freshmen - I'm pushing 30 btw just lurking bc I have a family member rushing this year) and straight up they just told them they were losing their house with no warning because both parties wanted to be childish and play politics. The next year they announced, again with NO warning, that the Sigma chapter of AOII would be losing its charter and closing. We were seniors at the time and it was infuriating. Like imagine your sorority just ceasing to exist. Mine's still on campus (AXO) but like dang.

To this day she still has massive beef with AOII nationals and with Delta Sigma because both parties could've compromised. The only ppl who got hurt were the girls.

So I have my thoughts but if ur looking for 4 years of sisterhood and not lifetime, DS could be for u. They don't have a nationals, so the alumnae network is small-ish. Some ppl seem to be ok with that, but Idk, I'd want a big org since ppl move after college/it's easy to find sisters in a new town.

By: potato
#3  by: Red   

I pref’ed DS during Rush and I’m just going to know they lead you on. Some of the other girls in my rush group also said so but not during pref, Otherwise I think the girls are sweet and down to earth. I personally am still friends with some girls in there and they’re pretty ok in my opinion, I jusf don’t know more to say anything.

By: Red
#4  by: in   

Its a housing option only. Its not a traditional fraternity. My POV is to give it a look but think very hard about what you want out of a greek experience at Cal.

By: in
#5  by: You   

Given there are other houses like Theta, Gamma Phi, AXO and Zeta that are still working on hitting quota year over year, you are better off giving one of those chapters a chance. They'll give you just as good, if not better, of an experience long term.

Only benefit to Delta Sig is that they'll never be put on national probation and theye dont have to pay national dues because they have no national. As a result, they have no national support either; though that isnt always a bad thing, Chi Omega had a huge issue with the international organization way back over some fake Instagram account.

By: You
by: kikFeb 2, 2019 9:43:52 PM

I totally agree with this comment @you. The national networks of DDD, ChiO, Theta, AXO, Gamma Phi and Zeta are amazing and there is something about being part of a traditional and national network that was a priority when I went through so I think its important to consider. Personally I would steer clear of non national and DS in particular as the house is owned by alumni who were AOPi members. The entire situation with the house is messy and because the house is owned by alums who were members of AOPi, its unlikely that DS will ever affiliate with another national which is quite unfortunate and frankly unfair to the members of DS.

By: kik
by: @kikFeb 9, 2019 4:27:43 PM

Only the members of Delta Sigma can decide whether they desire future life within an NPC organization. And an NPC group would have to want to have DS members become their members, too (that little thing called mutual compatibility). In addition, Cal panhel must be open for NPC expansion in order for DS to even suggest they might be interested. However, IMO it's doubtful DS would become/rejoin any NPC group due to previous DS NPC experiences. Stranger things have happened in the world...

By: @kik
by: SunFeb 21, 2019 2:33:54 AM

I agree but this semester only AXO and Gamma from some sororities that you mentioned had open recruitment, I’m not shre about Zeta but Theta didn’t have Spring recruitment, Most of the time it’s really just Gamma that struggles to reach quofa every year.

By: Sun
#6  by: sorority girl    

gorgeous house, known for being the least culty of the sororities, its a big house so id say half are BIGGG partiers while half prefer doing other stuff, girls are super smart and genuine... the alumni network is the same since they still network with AOPi alumni although they are no longer with the AOPi national chapter

By: sorority girl
#7  by: aphi   

I’d say DS girls are generally super friendly & get along with basically every PHC house except I hear they’re not as close w Theta, Zeta, Gphi, etc. A bunch of them are involved w ASUC & high house GPA, definitely career/leadership opportunities. House is also huge & won tht award some years back. My DS friends always have the same bids as me too so it’s definitely a work hard play hard house. Half of them are huge party girls, the other half throw away their bids lol. Only thing I’d wonder about is the alumni network.

By: aphi
by: dragonfruitMay 30, 2024 10:17:33 PM

hey aphi!

DS tries to outreach to all sororities who are interested in philanthropy events mutually. There’s also a philanthropy chair who encourages DS members to interact with other panhellenic sororities. Hope to see you in an exchange lol :-).

By: dragonfruit
#8  by: dragonfruit   

Okay, it’s been a while since someone posted on this thread, and I think it’s time for someone to say something positive about this chapter. Yes, DS had previous issues with the AOII in the 2010’s, but only because nationals was trying to buy out their house. This is because they were in the Cosmopolitan top 50 sorority houses. Alumni were under the assumption that it was going to be sold, and because of the value of the property, rent prices would increase because of their beautiful architecture. Because of this, alumni partnered with attorneys and lawyers to take ownership of the property. AOII nationals were on a high horse and refused to hear what members actually wanted. This is why charter was revoked and decided to do their own chapter.

In terms of the alumni network, alumni relations and other outreach members within the house try extremely hard to gather previous alumni from AOII and current DS alumni. They have reunions, fb groups, and founders day for students and alumni to engage. Although they might not have national recognition, the house tries extremely hard to get in touch with their network and not lose those connections.

In terms of housing, it’s the most affordable compared to other sororities on campus. If you don’t mind that the only network is local, then you should be fine. There is alumni all across the US & Europe! You just have to reach out to the right people to get to know them and what it can offer for you. Just like networking, you need to make the effort to get ahold of them and get in touch.

It’s a unique chapter with a lot of history, and all people in this chapter are super hard working and know how to “work hard, play hard”.

By: dragonfruit
#9  by: no   

this is the worst house to ever exist at berkeley and its not a real sorority. girls are so mean and fake to each other too. their retention rate is one of the worst among the houses, and they punish the girls who experience SVSH over the girls who commit SVSH and is also the worst house that has the worst SVSH issues. use your money and go elsewhere.

By: no
by: jSep 13, 2024 12:37:37 PM

this statement is simply just not true, and the amount of upvotes goes to show how little people know about the chapter. as far as the girls that live in the house goes, they all interact and acknowledge each other. even though live outs are not at the house as much, there's no differentiation or exclusion of them, especially during big events where a majority of the girls will come together and given time to just hang out. like in every other sorority there are groups of people that are closer to each other than others, but there's no significant amount of "cliques".

regarding retention, it just so happens that the when the chapter was going through rough times, as opposed to being dropped, the majority of the problematic people chose to drop, which from a business perspective is not the best, but culturally and socially for the house allowed us to grow and create initiatives to improve the house.

the SVSH allegation is also ridiculous. the house is survivor centric and its entire Philo is revolving around MISSSEY. A great number of girls are also involved with GASA and not a single current active would let something like that slide.

it's honestly such a shame to see that even after all of the efforts and reparations the chapter has done to keep it growing, the amount of work the board over the last 2-3 years has done to improve resources, social life, and alumni benefits, there's still so much backlash from people who don't even bother to gather facts.

By: j
#10  by: oski   

they have a history of svsh within the house and its not worth joining from a long-term standpoint since there's no nationwide alumnae network due to it being a local chapter

By: oski

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.