facebook

low gpa, chances of successful recruitment?

by: sona

I'm a second year considering going through recruitment. I didn't do too well my first year of college and ended up with an overall GPA of a 2.55. I know this is rather low and I honestly feel horrible about it. This is very unlike me as I had a 4.2 out of 5 in high school and I know I can do better this year. Does this decrease my chance of getting into a sorority/ should I even bother rushing?

Posted By: sona
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: hm   

having a low gpa may cause you to be automatically released by some chapters after the first round, but each sorority's gpa requirements are different, so i suggest you still give it a shot!

By: hm
by: sonaSep 21, 2017 5:54:44 PM

Ok! Can you give me any more information of the gpa requirements or maybe what chapters would require a higher gpa?

By: sona
by: ^^Sep 21, 2017 6:48:41 PM

I don't think chapters reveal their minimum requirement, but Theta definitely has the highest GPA requirement

By: ^^
#2  by: hey   

The min. required by phc to join recruitment is 2.50 so while your gpa will probably make you experience heavy cuts theres a chance you'll still get a bid. Just keep an open mind while you're going through recruitment. Is there anything else that would help you? Do you do a lot of volunteer work? Are you super involved on campus? Are you a great conversationalist who lights up a room? Some chapters might overlook your low gpa if you have other things going for you. If you dont though I might even suggest taking a year before rushing to work on your gpa. If you were that low without being involved in anything you should probably work on figuring out how to balance your schedule better before making more commitments. Plus its super common to rush here as a junior because of all our transfers so it wont hurt you.

By: hey
by: sonaSep 22, 2017 12:27:28 PM

Thanks for the advice. I feel like my freshman year gpa isn't exactly a good representation of who I am as a student and all I can say is that I was going through a tough time and unfortunately that ended up impacting my grades. I am so determined to bring it up because I feel awful about it. I have a research job at the med school which I work at about 15 hours a week but that might not be anything that makes me stand out. I also have a couple of references to some of the chapters but again I don't know if that will be enough to help. I was really excited about recruitment and do consider myself a fairly outgoing person but I am hoping my gpa won't make this a rough experience because it really is something that I feel bad about. I'm definitely willing to try my hardest and make the best of this process! If you have any more advice that would be great.

by: sonaSep 22, 2017 12:33:17 PM

Also is there any way my relatively strong high school gpa and the fact that I was in NHS and got volunteer awards will do anything for me?

by: heySep 22, 2017 1:55:11 PM

I agree your lab work and job wont make you stand out but it also might help explain your gpa a little. The references will also help but might not be enough. I know for a fact your gpa is two low for 2 chapters to consider you based on their policies so its really up to you on rushing this year. If you are ok with some chapters not giving you a chance and keep an open mind on where you end up then go for it. If you spend another year raising your gpa you might have more options on where you end up but thats another year without greek life so its really up to you. If you do rush, almost every chapter does their grade cuts after the first day so you'll know your options pretty early in the process. The other stuff you have (service awards from HS, references, etc) might balance you out if chapters are torn between you and someone with a higher gpa later but it really depends on the chapter. Good luck with whatever you decide!

By: hey
#3  by: sona   

would you mind telling me what the 2 chapters are? I'm still trying to decide and gather info

#4  by: Sup   

No one will tell you the chapters, but definitely more than two chapters will drop you after round 1. It's UCSD, so scholarship is important. I've seen girls in the past with GPAs like that have three chapters for round 2, and a lot of them end up with who they clicked with the most out of those three. Some girls also go in knowing they'll be dropped right away by most but want the experience for next year when they have a higher GPA.

By: Sup

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.